Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Maher Zain redefines Islamic beats - Arab News.Com



By HASS DENNAOUI, REVOLTRADIO.BLOG@GMAIL.COM
Singer and songwriter Maher Zain is the new star of modern Islamic music with his meaningful songs that aim to inspire and entertain people and send a message of peace and hope to the world.
Arab News sat down with the amazing sensation and had this quick discussion about him and his message through music:

Could you please introduce yourself to the readers?
My name is Maher Zain. I'm 29 years old. I'm originally Lebanese, but I grew up in Sweden after I moved there at the age of 8. I'm married.

You have nearly 2 million fans on your Facebook page. I believe that’s the most any Arabic artist has got, correct? How do you feel about that?
Alhamdulillah, I’m very happy and I feel grateful. This is truly a blessing from Allah and it motivates and inspires me to do more and better work Insha-Allah.

Your message is clear and it is spreading the message of Islam across the globe. Have you faced any criticism whatsoever?
Alhamdulillah I haven't faced any criticism as yet. As a matter of fact, people of all faiths and nationalities have liked the music we do.

Your thoughts on people that believe music is prohibited or not allowed in Islam?
I have full respect for them and it's not for me to judge them or their opinions. It's clear that our scholars have different opinions regarding this matter and I follow the opinion that allows music as long as it's used for a good cause and within the limits of Islam.

Take us through your lyrical writing process. How do you come out with your own lyrics?
I get inspiration from many different things. It can be from something I've heard, seen somewhere or just ideas in my head that I feel I want to sing about. I also get ideas from different people. I write my songs mostly with my dear friend and brother, Bara Kheriji, who's also the director of Awakening.

I know you tour the globe and wherever you go you have a huge impact on people. What has been your best performance to date?
Personally I think my best performance was last year in Bahrain. I had a great time there, good atmosphere and everything went great. I'm also happy with my last two concerts in Malaysia. The Malaysian fans are always very supportive.

What’s your opinion on the uprisings that took place in Tunisia, Egypt and other Arab countries?
To be honest I'm very happy that people have finally stood up together for their rights and gathered to fight for their freedom no matter what. Alhamdulillah Tunisia and Egypt showed us what one could achieve through unity, belief and hope. It's just sad that so many people had to die for someone to understand that something is wrong. I pray that Allah will accept their struggle for freedom.

Could we see you collaborate with artists from other genres, like Hip Hop?
I'm open to new things.

Musically, who are your inspirations?
I try to go by feeling, to think of the message I want to convey and I try to do that through both lyrics and music.

Do you feel you're pressured now to reach even more people?
I don't feel pressured at all to be honest. I feel more excited especially with the new album we're working on.

Any plans on having concerts in the Middle East?
Of course, we have many plans. This is just the beginning. I'm so much looking forward to the concerts in the Middle East.

What advice would you give to artists that are trying to crack the music industry?
To have good intentions. Ask yourself why you want to become an artist. To know that fame and being an artist are not easy and that it's a huge responsibility, because everything we do can either have a good or a bad influence on people. It's mainly about the message within the songs.

Do you believe major record labels out there promote overly commercial music to degrade us? Or is it just the way business works — everyone wants to party and dance and that’s what the record label is giving to the people?
Of course people like to have fun. There is nothing wrong with having fun, especially in Islam, as long as we know our limitations. However when it comes to the "silly" music, I realized after my album “Thank You Allah” that people actually love to hear good music with good melodies and positive messages. It's just that we need more such artists.

Any last words to your fans through Arab News?
Thank you for your support. Be ready; there are many surprises to come Insha-Allah!

Album Name: Thank You Allah
Record Label: Awakening Records

No comments:

Post a Comment

RESEPI TORTILLA AYAM DENGAN MAYONIS

RESEPI MUDAH UNTUK ORANG BUJANG Hari saya bawa bekal sarapan Tortilla Ayam Mayonis, nak makan kat rumah tk sempat...hhhh saya ni suka berm...